Effectiveness of ABA Therapy for Children with Special Needs of Autism: A Study of Psycholinguistics View
The background of this study is the recognition of an expert consultant psychiatrist named dr. Suzy Yusna SpKJ, who stated in our interview that based on the experience of practice before the 1990's the number of patients who were diagnosed as a child with autistic disorder in a year is only about five people. However, at this time of day can be diagnosed, three new patients. This shows a significant increase in autism. This study aims to describe (1) the effectiveness of Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) therapy model to increase autistic children's language; and (2) language development of children with autism after acquiring learning methods ABA therapy. This research method is descriptive research. The study takes its source data from children with special needs at Rumah Autis Bogor. Five children were selected as the research participants. We conclude that Lovaas’ ABA method to prove the effectiveness of these therapies through phases and methods. Therapists who are experts in this field also helped determine the success in measuring the response level of language learning for children with autism. Thus, effective ABA therapy model applied in improving the language of children with autism. Before the ABA method is applied, the average child's ability to speak to one type of vocabulary requires learning four to five times (four and five days) with bad judgment and poor. However, after being given an action, then the average language skills of children with autism increased by only one or two lessons (one and two days) with the excellent score.
Chaer, A. (2003). Psikolinguistik (Kajian Teoritik). Jakarta: PT Rineka Cipta.
Chauchard, P. (1983). Bahasa dan Pikiran. Translated by A. Widyamartaya. 1983. Yogyakarta: Yayasan Kanisius.
Dorland. (2002). Kamus Kedokteran Edisi 29. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: W. B. Saunders Company.
Kartono, K (2011). Patologi Sosial: Gangguan-gangguan Kejiwaan. Jakarta: PT Raja Grafindo Persada.
Kentjono, D. (1990). Dasar-Dasar Linguistik Umum. Fakultas Sastra Universitas Indonesia.
Lovaas, O.I. (2003). Teaching Individuals with Developmental Delays: Basic Intervention Techniques. Austin. Texas: pro-Ed, Inc.
Mar’at, S. (2009). Psikolinguistik: Suatu Pengantar. Bandung: PT Refika Aditama.
Mulyadi, K. (2011). Autism is Treatable : Tiga Pekan Menuju Keberhasilan Terapi. Jakarta: PT Gramedia.
Shichida, M. (2003). The Mystery of The Right Brain: Mengungkap Misteri Otak Kanan untuk Membuat Anak Jadi Genius. IKAPI Jakarta: PT Elex Media Komputindo.
Simon, J., Lovaas, O.I. (1969). Use of Pain and Punishment as Treatment Techniques with Child Schizophrenics. A Journal from www.neurodiversity.com. Los Angeles, California.
Syah, M. (2010). Psikologi Belajar. Jakarta: Rajawali Pers.
Watson, J. B. (1914). Behavior: An introduction to Comparative Psychology. New York: Henry Holt and Company.
Yuwono, J. (2009). Memahami Anak Autistik (Kajian Teoritik dan Empirik). Bandung: Alfabeta.
Copyright (c) 2018 Siti Ithriyah
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
By submitting the manuscript of the article, the authors agree with this policy with no specific document sign-off required.
The authors certify that:
- if the manuscript is co-authored, they are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- the work described has not been formally published before in a registered ISSN or ISBN media, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis.
- it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- its publication has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- they secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere (it does not infringe the rights of others).
- they agree to Ethical Lingua license and copyright agreement.
All articles published by Ethical Lingua are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
License and Copyright Agreement
- Authors retain copyright and other proprietary rights related to the article.
- Authors retain the right and are permitted to use the substance of the article in own future works, including lectures and books.
- Authors grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in Ethical Lingua.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in Ethical Lingua.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post or self-archive their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.