Using POSSE Strategy in Teaching Reading Comprehension
This research aims to determine if using POSSE Strategy affects reading comprehension of students majoring in English education of Tadulako University. This is a pre-experimental study using the one group pretest and posttest design. The population was 319 students in academic year 2018/2019. The samples were 35 students selected employing purposive sampling technique. Paper-and-pencil method was used when collecting the data with a test as the instrument. The test was administered twice namely pretest and posttest. The data were analyzed statistically using .05 level of significance and 34 degree of freedom. The result showed that after receiving intervention through POSSE Strategy, students scores got improved. In other words, using POSSE Strategy is effective in improving the sampled-students’ reading comprehension on any kinds of English text.
Aprilia, N. (2015). Improving Reading Comprehension of the Eighth Grade Students at SMP N 6 Yogyakarta through POSSE Strategy in the Academic Year of 2014/2015.
Englert, C. S., & Mariage, T. V. (1991). Making Students Partners in the Comprehension Process: Organizing the Reading “POSSE”. Learning Disability Quarterly, 14, 123-138.
Gay, L. R., Mills, G. E., & Airasian, P. (2006). Educational Research: Competencies for Analysis and Application (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.
Heilman, A. W., Blair, T. R., & Rupley, W. H. (2002). Principles and Practices in Teaching Reading (10th ed.). London, UK: Pearson.
Jameel, A. S. (2017). The effectiveness of P.O.S.S.E Strategy on Improving Reading Comprehension of the EFL University Students. International Journal of English Literature and Social Sciences, Vol. 2 (4), pp. 123-133.
Klinger, J., Vaughn, S., & Boardman, A. (2007). Teaching Reading Comprehension to Students with Learning Difficulties. New York: The Guilford Press.
Nurgiantoro, B. (2012). Penilaian Pembelajaran Bahasa. Jogyakarta: BPFE.
Nurhadi. (2016). Teknik Membaca. Jakarta: Bumi Aksara.
Somadyo, S. (2011). Strategi dan Teknik Pembelajaran Membaca. Yogyakarta: Graha Ilmu.
Copyright (c) 2020 Sudarkam R. Mertosono, Erniwati Erniwati, Hastini Hastini, Muhammad Arid
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
By submitting the manuscript of the article, the authors agree with this policy with no specific document sign-off required.
The authors certify that:
- if the manuscript is co-authored, they are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- the work described has not been formally published before in a registered ISSN or ISBN media, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis.
- it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- its publication has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- they secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere (it does not infringe the rights of others).
- they agree to Ethical Lingua license and copyright agreement.
All articles published by Ethical Lingua are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
License and Copyright Agreement
- Authors retain copyright and other proprietary rights related to the article.
- Authors retain the right and are permitted to use the substance of the article in own future works, including lectures and books.
- Authors grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in Ethical Lingua.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in Ethical Lingua.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post or self-archive their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.