The Effects of Contextual Clues Within A Picture of Road Signs on Students’ Vocabulary Mastery
This study aims to determine the effects of contextual clue within picture of road sign on students’ vocabulary mastery. The design of the research was a true experimental study with Pretest-Posttest Group Design. Learning outcome data are obtained through pretest and posttest activities. The samples were 80 students randomly taken by adjusting to the condition and aim of the research. There was a significant difference from the results of the experimental class posttest and control class this was evidenced by the Fo value. Fo value was 5.491 and Sig was 0.024 <0.05. It means that there was a difference in an effect of contextual clue within picture of road sign on students’ vocabulary mastery.
Creswell, J. W. (2010). Research Design: Pendekatan Kualitatif, Kuantitatif, dan Mixed. Pustaka Pelajar: Yogyakarta.
Grabe, W. (2011). Reading in a Second Language: Moving from Theory to Practice by GRABE, WILLIAM. The Modern Language Journal, 95(1), 143–144. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4781.2011.01151.x
Kusumayati, L. D. (2010). Improving Students’ Vocabulary Mastery Using Contextual Teaching And Learning ( A Classroom Action Research At The Third Grade Of Sd Negeri Kalimacan In Academic Year 2009 / 2010 ) Teacher Training And Education Faculty.
Marco, R., Carneiro, O., & Mccarten, J. (2007). Teaching Vocabulary: lessons from the corpus, lessons for the classroom. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Marlindawati, K. (2013). The Use of Context Clues to Improve the Vocabulary Mastery of the Eighth Grade Students of MTs Hasyim Asyari 2 Kudus in the Academic Year 2012/2013. Muria Kudus.
Marsela, D. (2014). the Effect of the Application of Contextual Teaching and Learning ( Ctl ) on the Students ’ Vocabulary Mastery At Grade Seven of Smp Gajah Mada Bandar Lampung in Academic Year 2013-2014. 295–300.
Mawar, S., Sustri Harida, E., & Rayani Siregar, F. (2017). Improving Students’ Vocabulary Mastery Through Word Square Modeling At Grade Vii Smp Negeri 5 Padangsidimpuan. TAZKIR: Jurnal Penelitian Ilmu-Ilmu Sosial Dan Keislaman, 3(2), 235. https://doi.org/10.24952/tazkir.v3i2.1554
Nuran, A. A., & Suswati, R. (2015). Pengembangan metode context clues untuk meningkatkan keterampilan membaca mahasiswa. 306–314.
Nurman, M. (2018). Improving the Students’ Vocabulary By Using “Go Fish” Game. Jo-ELT (Journal of English Language Teaching) Fakultas Pendidikan Bahasa & Seni Prodi Pendidikan Bahasa Inggris IKIP, 5(2), 121. https://doi.org/10.33394/jo-elt.v5i2.2311
Siregar, N. (2016). the Effect of Students’ Personality Learning Style and Teaching Methods on Their Vocabulary Achievement. ANGLO-SAXON: Jurnal Ilmiah Program Studi Pendidikan Bahasa Inggris, 7(2), 151. https://doi.org/10.33373/anglo.v7i2.504
Sugiyono. (2013). Metodelogi Penelitian Kuantitatif, Kualitatif Dan R&D. Bandung:Alfabeta.
Suryadi, Widyaningrum, W., & Erlangga, F. (2020). The Effects of Google Word Coach Game and Vocabulary Mastery on Students’ Speaking Skill. Ethical Lingua: Journal of Language Teaching and Literature, 7(1), 92–100. https://doi.org/10.30605/25409190.146
Taufan, M. Y. (2020). I mproving Students ’ Vocational Vocabulary Mastery through Context Clues Technique. Jurnal Edumaspul, 4(2), 347–354.
Uberman, A. (2008). The use of games for vocabulary presentation and revision. Forum Journal, 36(1), 30–50.
Widyaningrum, W. (2018). The Effects Of Vocabulary Mastery and Logical Thinking towards Student’s Listening Skill at Private Vocational High Schools in East Jakarta. Scope : Journal of English Language Teaching, 1(02), 212. https://doi.org/10.30998/scope.v1i02.1298
Copyright (c) 2021 Herli Salim, Suryadi Suryadi, Fajar Erlangga
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
By submitting the manuscript of the article, the authors agree with this policy with no specific document sign-off required.
The authors certify that:
- if the manuscript is co-authored, they are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- the work described has not been formally published before in a registered ISSN or ISBN media, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis.
- it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- its publication has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- they secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere (it does not infringe the rights of others).
- they agree to Ethical Lingua license and copyright agreement.
All articles published by Ethical Lingua are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
License and Copyright Agreement
- Authors retain copyright and other proprietary rights related to the article.
- Authors retain the right and are permitted to use the substance of the article in own future works, including lectures and books.
- Authors grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in Ethical Lingua.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in Ethical Lingua.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post or self-archive their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.