An Analysis of Flouting of Maxim in Aiman’s Talkshow ‘Tudingan Konspirasi Di Balik Korona’
The aims of this study are to investigate the flouting of maxim and analyse the implicature of it. To interpret and analyze the data, the research applied a descriptive qualitative method. The data were the utterances produced by Aiman Wicaksono as the Interviewer and Jerynx SID as the Main Guest speaker. The researchers conducted the analysis by identifying the data applying Grice’s Cooperative Principle (1975), categorizing the flouting of maxims as well as investigating the most dominant maxim of floating which occurred in Aiman’s talkshow video. The result of the finding shows that the guest speaker flouted all maxims. The maxim flouted when the speaker responded irrelevant statements, answered to the question but lack of adequate evidence, said too much and or too little information than it is required, and replied something unclear or ambiguous as well as provided unnecessary prolixity. The study discovers that there are 6 occurrences of flouting the maxim of relevance, 4 occurrences of flouting the maxim of manner, 1 occurrence of flouting the maxim of quantity, and 1 occurrence of flouting the maxim of quality. It is found in the research that the most dominant occurrence of flouting maxim is maxim of relevance. It is indicated by the contributions provided by the guest speaker where he does not make the contributions relevant to the questions and context.
Andresen, N. 2014. Flouting the maxims in comedy: An analysis of Flouting in the Comedy Series. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Department of Language, Literature and Intercultural Studies English III: Degree Project in Lingustics.
Brown, Gillian, and Yule, George. (1983). Discourse analysis. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Bussmann, H. Routledge. 2006. Dictionary of Language and Linguistics. London: Routledge.
Chaer, A. 2010. Kesantunan Berbahasa. Jakarta: Rineka Cipta.
Chaer, Abdul. 2015. Psikolinguistik (Kajian Teoritik). Jakarta: Rineka Cipta.
Cruse, Alan. (2000). Meaning in Language: An Introduction to Semantics and Pragmatics. Oxford University Press.
Grundy, Peter. (2008). Doing pragmatics. London: Arnold.
Hassani, Nibros. (2019). The Flouting Maxim on Twitter Influencers’ Tweets. Journal of Pragmatic Research (JoPR), 1(2), 139–155. https://doi.org/10.18326/jopr.v1i2.139-155
Karttunen, L. & Peters, S. (1979). Conventional Implicature. Syntax and Semantics ,11, p.1–56.
Kreidler, C. W. (1998). Introducing English semantics, second edition. In Introducing
English Semantics, Second Edition. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315886428
Levinson, Stephen C. (1983). Pragmatics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Manurung, Lastri Wahyuni (2019). Flouting Maxims In Hitam Putih Talkshow. Suar Betang Journal, 14 (2), 142-151. Retrieved Desember 12, 2020 from https://suarbetang.kemdikbud.go.id/jurnal/index.php/BETANG/article/view/126/112.
Mey, J. L. (1996). Variatinal Pragmatics.
Morgan, P. C. and J. (2011). Introducing pragmatics in use. In Introducing Pragmatics in Use. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203830949
Oktavia, Yani. (2014). The Flouting Of Maxims in Movie Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs. A Thesis. Study Program of English Department Of Languages and Literature Faculty of Cultural Studies Universitas Brawijaya.
Thomas, Jenny. (1995). Meaning in interaction: An introduction to pragmatics. Harlow: Pearson Education Ltd.
Victory,Widya RP . 2010. Implicature Used in Humors of Yes Man Movie. Unpublished thesis. Semarang: UMS. Retrieved 12 October 2011. from: http://lib.uin-malang.ac.id/ thesis / full chapter/06320107 - widya - rabiah – praja -victory.pdf.
Wijana, Dewa Putu. (1996). Dasar-dasar Pragmatik. Yogyakarta: Andi Offset
Yule, George. (1996). Pragmatics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Zacharias, N. T. (2012). Qualitative Research Methods for Second Language Education. 170.
Copyright (c) 2021 Bayu Andika Prasatyo
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
By submitting the manuscript of the article, the authors agree with this policy with no specific document sign-off required.
The authors certify that:
- if the manuscript is co-authored, they are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- the work described has not been formally published before in a registered ISSN or ISBN media, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis.
- it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- its publication has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- they secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere (it does not infringe the rights of others).
- they agree to Ethical Lingua license and copyright agreement.
All articles published by Ethical Lingua are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
License and Copyright Agreement
- Authors retain copyright and other proprietary rights related to the article.
- Authors retain the right and are permitted to use the substance of the article in own future works, including lectures and books.
- Authors grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in Ethical Lingua.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in Ethical Lingua.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post or self-archive their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.