Developing English Vocabulary Through The Busuu App
The purpose of this study was to determine the improvement of English learning using the Busuu application. This study used a quantitative method and the design used in this quantitative method was pre-experimental using one group pre-test and post-test. The samples in this study were 31 students of class 10th Ipa SMA Al-Mukhlisin Ciseeng Bogor in the academic year 2019-2020. The mean value of the pre-test results was 43.39 and the post-test 89.19. The results of the t-test calculation can be concluded that the Busuu application has a significant effect on students' vocabulary skills. Evidenced by getting 1.345 for the Pre-test and 2.765 for Post-test. The means for the pre-test were 43.39 and 89.19 for the post-tests. The result of the t.calculation score of 12,492 was higher than the t.table score of 2,042 at the 5% significance level. This means that the Busuu application improves the vocabulary skills of grade X SMA Al-Mukhlisin students.
Achmad, S. (2013). Developing English Vocabulary Mastery trough Meaningful
Learning Approach. International Journal of Linguistics, ISSN 1948-5425,
, vol.5, No.5,78-79.
Albantani, A. M. (2018). Optimalisasi Aplikasi Busuu Dalam Pembelajaran Bahasa ArB . Journal of Arabic Studies .
Alsagoff, L., McKay, S. L., Hu, G. & Renandya, W. A. (Eds.). (2012). Principles and practices for teaching English as an international language. London: Routledge.
Alqantani, M. (2015). The Importance of Vocabulary in Language Leraning and
how to be Taught. International Journal of Teaching and Education,
Cresswell. J. (2019). Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative and Mixed Methods Approaches (4th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. Canada Center of Science and Education.
Harrington, T. R. (2013). Recognition vocabulary knowledge as a predictor of academic performance in an English as a foreign language testing . Language Testing in Asia, 1-13.
Taufiqurrachman. (tahun 2016). Busuu.com: Model Belajar Bahasa Arab Mandiri Berbasis Website dalam Laporan Penelitian, Jurusan PBA FITK, UIN Maulana Malik Ibrahim Malang, . 1.
Saona-Vallejos, M. A. (2018). Busuu: how do users rate this app for language
learning. Innovative language teaching and learninf at university: integrate informal learning into formal language education (pp. 27-36) Research publishing.net.https://doi.org/10.14705/rpnet/2018.22.773.
Saputra, H. N., & Hadi, M. S. (2019). Teaching Vocabulary through
Fly Swatter Game. English Language in Focus (ELIF), 2(1), 17
Copyright (c) 2021 Tika Khairunnisa, Lidiyatul Izzah, Muhamad Sofian Hadi
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
By submitting the manuscript of the article, the authors agree with this policy with no specific document sign-off required.
The authors certify that:
- if the manuscript is co-authored, they are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- the work described has not been formally published before in a registered ISSN or ISBN media, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis.
- it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- its publication has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- they secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere (it does not infringe the rights of others).
- they agree to Ethical Lingua license and copyright agreement.
All articles published by Ethical Lingua are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
License and Copyright Agreement
- Authors retain copyright and other proprietary rights related to the article.
- Authors retain the right and are permitted to use the substance of the article in own future works, including lectures and books.
- Authors grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in Ethical Lingua.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in Ethical Lingua.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post or self-archive their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.