Improving Students’ Vocabulary Mastery by Using Authentic Materials through Communicative Approach
The research aimed at finding out whether or not using of authentic materials through communicative approach improves the vocabulary of the students. This applied a pre-experimental method. The population of the research was the second grades students of a state high school comprising four classes and one of which chosen as the sample by using purposive sampling. The sample consisted of thirty two. The data were collected by using vocabulary test that consisted 20 items. The proce4 of collecting data was presented in chronological order as pre-test given before treatment and then post-test was giving after treatment as students’ achievement. The data analysis showed that there was significant difference of the students’ vocabulary achievement after giving treatment by using authentic materials through communicative approach. It was proved by the mean score of pre-test was 5.97 and the mean of post-test was 7.82. The data was analyzed by using t-test was higher than t-table value. The value of t-test was 9, while t-table value was 1.695 at the 0.05 level significance. Based on the result above, the writer concludes that the use of authentic material through communicative approach improves the students’ vocabulary mastery.
Allen, VF. (1983). Techniques in Teaching Vocabulary. New York: Oxford University Press.
Arafah, Syarifah. (2001). Using Cartoon F as a Teaching Device to Enrich Students Vocabulary of the Third Semester Students of English Department of FBS UNM. Unpublished Thesis. UNM.
Arikunto, Suharsimi. (2002). Prosedur Penelitian Suatu Pendekatan Praktek. Jakarta: PT. Rineka Cipta.
Arninah. (1993). Factor Affecting the Reading Comprehension Achieveiwnt of the Sixth Seven Students of English Education Department of FBS IKIP Ujung Pandang. Unpublished Thesis. FPBS Ujung Pandang.
Brown, James & Fred Richard. (1997). An Instruction Technology Media and Methods. Australia: Megraw - HILL Book Company.
Cook. (1991). Second Language Learning and Language Teaching. London: Edward Arnold.
Corder, S Pit. (1975). Introducing Applied Linguistics. England: Penguin Education.
Emawati. (2003). Hubungan Antara Frekuemsi Mengikuti Siaran Kuis Digital LG Dengan Prestasi. Thesis. FPBS Ujung Pandang.
Evans, Idealla & Ron Muldof. (1978). Psychology for a Changing World. New York.
Gay, L. R. (1981). Educational Research (Competencies for Analysis and Application). Florida: Charles E, Meril Publishing CO.
Harmer, Jeremy. (1991). The Practice of English Language Teaching. London: Longman Group.
Kemp Jerrold & Deanek, Dayton. (1985). Planning and Producing Instruction Media. Fifth Edition. New York: Harper and Raw Publisher.
Larsen, Freeman. (1986). Techniques and Principles in language Teaching. Oxford. University Press.
Madjid, Arqam. (1999). The Influence of Using the Three Dimension Media on Learning Motivation and Material Common in English Teaching to the Fourth Grade Students at SD Negeri Kompleks IKIP UP. Thesis FPBS IKI Ujung Pandang.
Nikmawati. (1993). Mastering Vocabulary through Picture at the First Semester of SMA Negeri Pario. Kab. Wajo. Thesis. FBS UNM.
Nuttal, Cristoone. (1982). Teaching Reading Skill in a Foreign Language. London: Heinemann Education Book.
Nunan, David. (1991). Language Teaching Methodology, New York: Prentice Hall.
Richards, J & Theodore s Rodgers. 1986. Approaches And Methods in Language Teaching. Prentice Hall.
Rivers, Wilgan. (1987). Interactive Language Teaching as Communication. Oxford. University Press.
Schill, Williams. (1967). Seven Days to Faster Reading. New York: Paperback Library Inc.
Savignon, Sandra. (1983). Communicative Competence: Theory an Classroom Practices. California: Addison Wesley Publishing Company.
Tronch, Keith & Phill Cullen. (1976). Quality Education. Australia.
Ur. Penny. (1996). A Course in Language Teaching. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Wallace, Michael J. (1982). Teaching Vocabulary. Oxford: Fleinemanu Education Book Ltd.
Widdowson, H. (1990). Aspect of Language Teaching. Oxford. Oxford University Press.
Wello, Muhammad Basri & Hafsa J Nur. (1999). An Introduction to ESP. Ujung Pandang. UNM.
Yapardi, Nirmawati. (1995). Improving Students Vocabulary Through Discovery Technique to the Second Year Students of SMP Datuk Ribandang Makassar. Makassar. Thesis. FBS UNM.
Copyright (c) 2017 Umar Umar, Irmayanti Irmayanti
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
By submitting the manuscript of the article, the authors agree with this policy with no specific document sign-off required.
The authors certify that:
- if the manuscript is co-authored, they are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- the work described has not been formally published before in a registered ISSN or ISBN media, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis.
- it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- its publication has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- they secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere (it does not infringe the rights of others).
- they agree to Ethical Lingua license and copyright agreement.
All articles published by Ethical Lingua are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
License and Copyright Agreement
- Authors retain copyright and other proprietary rights related to the article.
- Authors retain the right and are permitted to use the substance of the article in own future works, including lectures and books.
- Authors grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in Ethical Lingua.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in Ethical Lingua.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post or self-archive their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.