Woman’s Suppression in Azab dan Sengsara: A Feminist Perspective
Azab dan Sengsara is an Indonesian novel written by Merari Siregar (1921), one of the famous roman novelists in Indonesia in Balai Pustaka era. The novel is a material object of the present study. The study aims at revealing oppression, violence, exploitation of woman and all varieties of injustice to woman, revealing social symptoms ideological forms containing in the novel as a manifestation of a company condition in old era. This research uses a qualitative method and approaches of literary feminist and literary sociology as its support. This research succeeds in answering the problems of woman life, as manifestation of real life which reflects kinds of woman’s life in society of Indonesian, for example: marriage, custom, violence, etc. for the hero “Mariamin” (a woman). She is the manifestation of the authority life, besides talking on oppression of woman images of its community lives. The author succeeded offering solutions with various contradictions, conflicts, handling down the novel as manifestation in real life.
Awuy, T. F. (1995). Wacana Tragedi dan Dekonstruksi Kebudayaan. Yogyakarta: Jentera Waca Publik
Awuy, T. F. (2002). Feminisme di Persimpangan Jalan? ‘Dalam Pelatihan Teori dan Kritik Sastra’, PPKB-LPUI. Jakarta: PPPG Bahasa
Djajanegara, S. (1995). Citra Wanita Dalam Lima Novel Terbaik Sinclair Lewis dan Gerakan Wanita di Amerika, Depok: Fakultas Sastra Universitas Indonesia
Fakih, M. (1997). Analisis Gender dan Transformasi Sosial. Yogyakarta: Pustaka Pelajar
Soebadio, H. (1984). Citra Wanita Indonesia dalam Tradisi Kuno”. Dalam Anonim, Perjuangan Wanita Indonesia 10 Windu setelah Kartini 1904-1984. Jakarta: Departemen Penerangan RI
Pradopo, R. D. (1995). Beberapa Teori Sastra, Metode Kritik dan Penerapannya, Yogyakarta: Pustaka Pelajar.
Prihartini, S. R. (1977). Pengarang-Pengarang Wanita Indonesia. Jakarta: Pustaka Jaya
Siregar, M. (1996). Azab dan Sengsara. Jakarta : Balai Pustaka
Selden, R. (1991). Panduan Pembaca Teori Sastra Masa Kini (Diterjemahkan oleh Rahmat Djoko Pradopo). Yogyakarta: Gajah Mada University Press.
Sugihastuti. (1991). Kritik Sastra Feminis: Sebuah Pengantar dalam Basis. 12 (Desember XL). Yogyakarta.
Sugihastuti. (2002). Kritik Sastra Feminis: Teori dan Aplikasinya. Yogyakarta: Pustaka Pelajar.
Worlsey, P. (ed.) (1992). Pengantar Sosiologi: Sebuah Pembanding, Jilid II. (Diterjemahkan oleh Hartono Hadikusumo). Yogyakarta: Tiara Wacana.
Copyright (c) 2017 Siti Hafsah
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
By submitting the manuscript of the article, the authors agree with this policy with no specific document sign-off required.
The authors certify that:
- if the manuscript is co-authored, they are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- the work described has not been formally published before in a registered ISSN or ISBN media, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis.
- it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- its publication has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- they secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere (it does not infringe the rights of others).
- they agree to Ethical Lingua license and copyright agreement.
All articles published by Ethical Lingua are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
License and Copyright Agreement
- Authors retain copyright and other proprietary rights related to the article.
- Authors retain the right and are permitted to use the substance of the article in own future works, including lectures and books.
- Authors grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in Ethical Lingua.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in Ethical Lingua.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post or self-archive their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.